Sunday, April 30, 2017

Gear Review: Surface Pro 4 is a great boat computer

I’m always on the look out for a compact, well performing, easy to use computer for the sailboat. Over the years, I’ve used some rugged tablets, laptops, and other creations, but none have been able to run the software I need while still being easy enough to use. I have been a hardcore Mac user for the last 6 years, and while my MacBook Pros have been great, the best software for navigation doesn’t run natively on the Mac without major compromises.

Windows vs. Mac

The primary use of a computer aboard Grace while planning or underway is to run Coastal Explorer. Secondarily, when doing projects or maintenance, to run software from manufacturers like Maretron or MasterVolt to update or configure various devices. All of those software packages require Windows.

For blogging, editing photos or videos, or general web browsing, I still rely on my Mac, although those waters are becoming a bit more muddied with the recent purchase of a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar – I can’t say I’m impressed with the hardware compared to what I see in the PC world.

Continue reading the full post on the Sailbits blog.

Read More Here ….

The post Gear Review: Surface Pro 4 is a great boat computer appeared first on YachtAweigh.



from WordPress http://ift.tt/2oYA49t
via Yacht Vacation Rentals

No comments:

Post a Comment